Friday, January 1, 2010

I'm Rubbing off on Joe!

Sometimes I'm a stickler for grammar and pronunciation. I know I don't say everything correctly, but I try. When I first started correcting hubby, it annoyed him to no end; now he's used it.

Both of Joe's parents are from Baltimore City. Bawlmore has a dialect all its own, but that's part of its charm. While visiting Joe's parents for Christmas, Joe tried to correct his parents' pronunciation. I've wanted to do that for 10 years, but knew it wasn't my place. I couldn't believe my hubby actually noticed and said something. Go Joe! At the same time, when someone has said words a certain way for 60 years, he or she is unlikely to change. Oh well.

Here's some Bawlmore words for you, hon.

Afghan = African (Yes, you read that correctly. I don't know where it started and I know it's not meant to be derogatory, but that's how a lot of Baltimore-ans pronounce it.)

Pillow = Piller

Follow = Foller

Sink = Zink

Wash = Warsh

Water = Wudder

Idea = Idear

Picture = Pitcher

I'm sure there are more, but that's enough for now :p

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...