Friday, October 7, 2011

Adobo Chili

Although it's quite warm here in Maryland today, it was quite brisk a couple of weeks ago. With the chilly weather, I love making some hearty soups and opted to give a new chili recipe a try.

I had purchased ancho chili powder and wanted to give it a try. Instead of replacing some of the chili powder called for in the recipe, I added an additional 2 tablespoons. THAT WAS A MISTAKE! I swear, my mouth is on fire every time I eat this. I also added some frozen corn to help dilute the spiciness. I'm realizing I love corn in my chili. I doubt this is my go-to chili recipe, but with lots of cheddar cheese and sour cream, it's still pretty darn good.

Recipe from Crepes of Wrath

INGREDIENTS
1 lb. sweet pork sausage
1 lb. lean ground beef
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1-2 jalapeno peppers, diced (I used 1)
5 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces dark beer
5-6 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce (canned), pureed in a food processor or a blender
28 ounces diced tomatoes, with juices
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoon ancho chili pepper - my mistake, I think
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 cans beans, your choice (I used black beans and kidney beans), drained and rinsed

DIRECTIONS
1. Saute the onion, jalapeno pepper(s), and garlic in two tablespoons of oil until softened over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage and ground beef, breaking it up with your cooking utensil and cooking until almost cooked through, about 8 minutes.

2. Add in the rest of the ingredients (except the beans) and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour (if the chili starts to boil or bubble too much, turn down the heat).

3. Rinse and drain your beans, then after an hour of simmering, add them to the chili. Cook for another 30 minutes to an hour, until thickened. Serve with cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, or crusty bread. Serves 6.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...