Friday, June 1, 2012

Baked Blueberry Oatmeal


For those of you tired of baby or pregnancy posts, here's a recipe for you! I'm way behind on posting recipes, so I figured I'd start with the most recent. I can't believe I baked and posted a recipe in the same week! That turn around time is unheard of for me. I've been meaning to try this recipe for ages and finally got around it. It's so easy! The worst part is cleaning up the two bowls. I also like that I can place left overs in the fridge and use for breakfasts during the week. I rarely do brunch with friends, but if I do, this will definitely have to be on the menu.

I used blueberries since that's the fruit I had on hand, but you can definitely use almost any fruit. I also used steel cut oats instead of the full old fashioned oats. I like the texture of steel cut oats so next time I'll probably do half and half.

Ingredients:
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats - I used 3/4 cup old fashioned and 1/4 cup steel cut 
¼ cup chopped walnuts or pecans, lightly toasted, divided - omitted 
½ tsp. baking powder
¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
¼ cup maple syrup
1 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2-3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
½-inch thick - omitted, didn't have any ripe enough
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), divided (I probably used close to two cups since I didn't use the bananas)

 Directions: Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine the rolled oats, half of the nuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir with a fork to combine. In a liquid measuring cup, combine the maple syrup, milk, egg, butter, and vanilla. Spread the sliced bananas in a single layer over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the berries. Sprinkle the dry oat mixture over the fruit in an even layer. Pour the liquid ingredients evenly over the oats. Sprinkle the remaining nuts and berries over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned and the oats have set. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...