about 3 pounds butternut squash - I buy the precut packages
1.5 cup white sugar
2.25 cups milk
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1/2 (16 ounce) package vanilla wafers, crushed
1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Put butternut squash in the microwave and cook on high, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and cube. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add squash and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash.
- In a 9x13 inch casserole dish combine 4.5 cups mashed butternut squash, white sugar, milk, vanilla extract, salt, flour, eggs and melted margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until set.
- In a medium bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, 1/2 cup melted margarine and brown sugar. Crumble over top of cooked casserole and return to oven to brown.