Thursday, February 16, 2012

How do you do it?

Throughout residency I've had to do multiple 24 hour (or more) calls, but the ICU calls are the worst. The acuity is higher and there really isn't much, or sometimes any, down time. Last night I had a lovely 28 hour call, and I mean that quite sarcastically. As I walked around the unit in a slight delirium at 3am, some of the nurses asked, "So how do you do it?" [in regards to my long shift.] I replied honestly, "it's what I have to do." It sucks, there is no doubt about it. I want to be a pediatrician and the only way to get there is to do a residency. Residency hours suck. I don't feel that working 28 hours straight makes me stronger or smarter. I think medical training needs a major remodel, but that's a whole political agenda and financially dilemma. In the mean time, I'm continue to occasionally whine about some of the sucky things about residency.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...