Monday, January 28, 2013

Moroccan Beef Chili

I reaching the tail end of residency, woo hoo, but I have had a heavy schedule.  It was nice to ease back in after maternity leave, but I definitely made up for it these past 2 months.  I've been trying to make a meal at least every other weekend that I can freeze and heat up on the days I don't have time to cook, which is basically everyday now a days.  I found this recipe in Clean Eating Magazine and I will definitely be adding it ot my favorites!  The flavors blend so well together and with the chickpeas it makes a hearty meal!  I didn't use a crock-pot and used my Dutch oven instead, but that set off our carbon monoxide detector, so crock pot it is next time!

From Clean Eating Magazine, Jan/Feb 2013, pg 49

INGREDIENTS:
Olive Oil
1 lb sirloin beed, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/4 inch-thick strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 tsp ground tumeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cups low-sodium beef stock, divided
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-2 inch chunks
1 1/2 cups jarred or boxed unsalted diced tomatoes, with juices
1 1/4 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in water for 24 hours (or boiled for 1 hour until al dente, then drain and set aside)
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots

DIRECTIONS:
1. In large nonstick skillet on medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil.  Add beef and cook until browned and cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.  Transfer mixture to a slow-cooker.
2. Return skillet to medium and heat 1 tablespoon oil.  Add garlic, onion, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, black pepper, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes.  Add 1 cup stock and stir, scraping up browned bits in bottom of skillet with a spoon. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. To slow cooker, stir in remaining 2 cups of stock, potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, and apricots; cover and cook on high for about 4 hours.  Season with salt if desired.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...