Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins/Cookies

When I saw this recipe, I immediately thought, "oh chocolate and cherries, I must try this!" To be honest, I was quite disappointed in this recipe. First, the title call it a muffin, so I was expecting a muffin texture. Instead, they are definitely closer to a cookie. Second, I thought there were too many ingredients and not enough batter. Mind you, I used dried cherries and I may have used too much, but I didn't think so. Overall, these were only mediocre. My mom and friend liked them though, so if the recipe sounds good to you, I'd still give it a try.

Recipe adapted from Cooking, originally Weldon Russell's recipe

INGREDIENTS
1.5 cups self-rising flour - 6.4 ounces
1/2 cup white whole wheat - 2 ounces
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup ground almonds - 0.84 ounces
1/3 cup packed brown sugar - 2.5 ounces
1 egg
1/3 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup chocolate chips - I used dark chocolate, I'd recommend about 3/4 cup
1 cup bottled or canned red cherries, pitted and drained - I used 1 cup of dried cherries, I'd recommend only 1/2-3/4 cup

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 6-cup large muffin pan.* Sift the flour and allspice into a large bowl. Stir in the almonds, sugar, egg, butter, buttermilk, chocolate, and cherries. Mix lightly with a fork until just combined.

Spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool further.

Serve warm or cool.

*These were not a muffing consistency for me at all. If I'd make them again, I'd just use a cookie sheet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...