Friday, May 20, 2011

On Being Called Doctor

It's been over a year now since I've graduated medical school and I'm still getting used to being called doctor. Being a female, I'm often confused as being a nurse instead of a physician. Plus, I hardly ever wear make up and I think that makes me look younger, so I make sure I introduce myself as the doctor so families don't confuse me as a student. In general, when I walk into the room, I introduce myself as Dr. Hinkle and then when I go to examine the child I reintroduce myself to them as Dr. Amanda. Three times this week as I've been walking out of a patient's room I've had two separate families call out, "Oh, Dr. Hinkle, I forgot something..." I'm not going to lie, the first time the parent called me Dr. Hinkle I didn't respond. Really, they're calling me? I'm slowly, slowly getting used it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...