Monday, October 24, 2011

Curried Sweet Potato Soup

When I saw this recipe, it reminded me of a curry soup I made last year, Coconut Curry Butternut Squash soup. I loved that soup. I made it twice last season. I always love to try new things, so I thought I'd give this one a try. I'm not that big of a fan of it. I added cinnamon, which helped, but it still just doesn't have enough flavor for me. I have at least two bowls still in my freezer. I hate wasting, so soon enough I'll eat them.

Recipe from Joy the Baker

Curried Sweet Potato Soup from The Essential New York Times Cookbook
serves 6 to 8

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup coarsely chopped onions
1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (my addition)
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
6 cups chicken broth, or slightly more as needed.
salt and pepper to taste

6 to 8 teaspoons goat cheese (I used sour cream)

DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until the onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes. Add the sweet potatoes and broth and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes.

Puree the soup, in batches in a blender or food processor. Season to taste. The soup can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. Reheat over a low flame. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock.

Ladle into bowls and crumble goat cheese on top.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...