Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

I love pumpkin. I love the fall weather. I wish the days were still longer, but overall, fall is nice. When I saw this recipe in Penzey's fall catalog, I knew I had to try it. I didn't have any evaporated milk on hand, but I think buttermilk worked just as well. I would add some nutmeg to the recipe to give it a little more spice, but over, I really enjoyed it!
Recipe adapted from Penzey's Spices

INGREDIENTS
1/2 Cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1 Cup (7.5 ounces) packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 Cup canned plain pumpkin
1/4 Cup evaporated milk (I used buttermilk)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
11/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 2/3 Cups (7.08 ounces) flour

Streusel Topping:

2 TB. flour (I used almond flour)
21/2 TB. white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 TB. butter

DIRECTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 375°.
  • Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and blend.
  • Mix together the pumpkin and evaporated milk and then mix into the butter/sugar mixture.
  • Add the baking soda and SPICES and gently mix.
  • Lastly, add the flour and stir; don't over stir, it makes the muffins tough.
  • Pour the batter into 8 greased large muffin tin cups or 12 regular.
  • In a small bowl, blend the streusel ingredients together with a fork until the topping is about the size of small peas.
  • Sprinkle the topping over the muffins and then bake at 375° for approximately 22-25 minutes for an 8-muffin batch, 18-22 for a smaller 12-muffin batch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...