Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Swan Thieves

The Swan Thieves The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed this book. I've heard wonderful things about Kostova's previous book, The Historian, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Hopefully I can pick it up soon.

The Swan Thieves revolves around a middle-aged male admitted to a psychiatric hospital. Kostova uses the perspective of 3 characters to help tell Robert's story. I really enjoyed hearing the story from three different perspectives. Kostova did a wonderful job giving each character its own distinguishable personality. Learning about Robert from three different people helped give him depth that I think only could be accomplished from multiple perspectives.

I have very limited experience with inpatient psychiatry, but I still believe Kostova did a wonderful job exploring his mental illness and how it affected his family and friends.

One of the main characters is Robert's wife. I do feel Kostova left her story slightly unresolved, but I can easily get over it.

Overall, I definitely recommend this book!

I listened to the unabridged audio version and it was wonderful! I cannot commend the narration enough.

View all my reviews >>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...