Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups


I love fall and I love pumpkin.  I have mixed reviews on this recipe.  I have to note I altered it significantly by adding brewer's yeast and flaxseed meal, so I think that affected the taste.  Brewer's yeast, flaxsseed, and oatmeal are supposed to help increase breastmilk supply, hence adding them.  Now that I'm back to work and have to pump, I want to make sure I'm getting enough milk.  I don't know if it was these "muffins" or that I was less stressed this week as compared to last week (my first week back), but Monday I had these for breakfast and had an awesome pumping session at lunch.  Who knows.  I ended up adding some maple syrup to the second half of the batch.  They are bitter, but I think that's because of the brewer's yeast, which isn't a part of the original recipe.  I don't if I'll make these again, but if I do, I'll definitely add maple syrup and probably some raisins.  I didn't use almond milk and I definitely think I should have added vanilla or almond extract.

Recipe adapted from Green Lite Bites
  • 1 15oz can of pumpkin (420g)
  • 1/2 cup vanilla Almond milk (I used regular 1% milk)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp Baking powder
  • 3 cups (240g) Old Fashion or Rolled Oats
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tablespoon brewer's yeast (optional, for lactation)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal (optional, for lactation)
  • 1/3 cup of brown sugar or sugar in the raw
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix all ingredients together, and let sit while you prepare the muffin pans.
Spray a muffin pan and/or liners with with non-stick spray.
Divide batter into 15 muffin cups. They should be just about filled.
Bake 20-30 minutes, you’ll see the edges just starting to brown and they will be firm to the touch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...