Monday, June 29, 2009

First Attempt at Cake Decorating...

Several area craft stores offer cake decorating courses. I've always wanted to take one (see below post) but never have. Well, I decided now's the time to at least try to learn. I'm attempting to teach myself using Wilton's Course 1 book and various you tube videos. Course 2 starts Monday at a local Michael's...I'd miss the 4th class and I've yet to decide if I want to sign up for the course...

Here's my first attempt, definitely lots of room for improvement!


Sorry for the crappy photos! Next time I think I need to use my dSLR instead of the POS, such a difference!

The cake and icing aren't anything to write home about just yet. I'm using boxed cake mix and Wilton's icing recipe. I'll try different cake recipes once I improve my decorating skills a little. I didn't really like the icing, but the recipe did call for flavoring, which I didn't add, so I'll try that next time. Oh, and I must invest in a cake leveler!

One of my internet friends said the most difficult part is learning how to ice a cake without getting tons of crumbs in the icing, I so agree!

2 comments:

Everybody Likes Cookies said...

A way to avoid getting crumbs on the final icing is by doing a "crumb coat". Start out with one larger bowl of icing and a smaller bowl of icing. Use the small bowl of icing first, and place icing between each layer of cake, as normal, and place a very thin layer of icing all over the outside of the cake to get a smooth texture and hold the crumbs in. Set the cake aside, clean up any crumbs that accumulated, and then use the larger, clean, bowl of icing to finish the cake off. The crumbs should be stuck in the first layer of icing and they won't get caught in the final layer.

Hope this was helpful.

Karin said...

In addition to the wonderful advice...I put my cake in the fridge after I dirty ice or crumb coat it. Just for about 10 minutes. Then the crumbs are really stuck in that first coat!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...