Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chili's Enchilada Soup

Once again I failed to read the servings before making the recipe, and lo and behold, I made enough soup to serve 16-20 people! This wouldn't be as bad if Joe was willing to try it and eat some, but of course not.

I didn't read the recipe before hand, so I started in a large pot....umm...that wasn't large enough, so mid way I had to pour everything into the largest pot I had on hand--what'd I'd call my crab steaming pot if we could actually buy live crabs in Omaha.

Either way, I thought the soup was pretty close to Chili's and definitely worth making again, but perhaps only a 1/3 of the recipe next time. Here's the recipe with my adaptations.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup Vegetable oil

1/4 cup Chicken base (I used 1/2 chicken stock)

3 cups diced Yellow Onions

2 tsp. ground Cumin

2 tsp. Chili Powder

2 tsp. granulated Garlic (I grated two cloves instead)

1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper

2 cups Masa Harina (I used 2 1/2 cups)

4 quarts Water (divided)

2 cups crushed Tomatoes

1 can diced chiles (not in original recipe)

1 lb. processed American cheese, cut in small cube (Velveeta)

3 lb. cooked, cubed chicken


DIRECTIONS:


In large pot, place oil, chicken base, onion and spices. Saute until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes In another container, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve. Add to sauted onions, bring to boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. This will eliminate any raw taste from Masa harina. Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot. Add tomatoes; let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally. Add cheese to soup. Cook stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. Add chicken; heat through.


Makes 1 1/2 gallons or 16-20 servings.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...