Tuesday, October 6, 2009

96 hours?

Also known as four 24 hour days. Or, the amount of time I spent at the hospital this past week. Of my first 7 days, 4 of them were on duty. Needless to say I haven't seen anybody in Baltimore other than my parents and brother yet. Now, you might be thinking, "Isn't that illegal?" Nope. The ACGME has duty hour requirements for residents--maximum of an average of 80 hours a week over 4 weeks. The kicker, these guidelines apply only to residents, not med students. No fear though, I chose to work that many hours last week so I can have time off this coming weekend. Joe is coming to visit and we're going to a shrimp feast and Ravens game. And, even as a resident I could work 96 hours in 7 days as long as it averages out over 4 weeks. The joys I have to look forward to next year as an intern. However, in all honesty, it's not as bad as it sounds. I love working with the kids and learning how to manage their illnesses. As long as I'm busy, the time pretty much flies. That's not to say I'm not exhausted at the end of the day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...