Friday, September 25, 2009

Scratch Pediatric Endocrinologist...

...off the list of future professions. I'm about 85% sure I want to go into general pediatrics, but I'm still keeping my mind open to specialties. I took an endocrinology class in undergrad and loved it. It's amazing how the body's hormones control so many things in such an ordered fashion. So, these past two weeks, I spent my time rotating in the pediatric endocrinology clinic. It was only OK for me. The endo cases themselves are interesting, but there's not much variety. Almost every patient was a growth hormone deficiency or hypothyroid patient. We'd maybe have one congenital adrenal hyperplasia patient or type one diabetes patient a day. (Most of the diabetes patients were seen by nurse practitioners). I'm not going to lie, I was bored after two weeks, I can't imagine seeing the same cases over and over my whole life. Yes, I know the patients get sick and some cases are more interesting than others, but it's just not for me. I'm realizing more and more how much I like well-child checks and the teaching opportunities for general well being general peds offers me. Plus, as a general pediatrician, I'll still see the endocrine disorders, but I'll also see lots of other things too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...