Monday, March 21, 2011

Broccoli-Spinach-Poatato Soup with Cheddar


To be honest, I couldn't get past the color of the soup to determine if I liked the taste or not. I know I shouldn't have been surprised by the bright green color with the ingredients, but it just didn't look right. I sent the leftovers with my family. They too said they couldn't get over the color to actually give it a try.

I found this recipe in a cook book called Almost from Scratch, p. 71, by Andrew Schloss. My adaptations are in italics.

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped onions, frozen or fresh
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic, jarred or fresh
1 large container (32 ounces) chicken broth
1 box (10 ounces) frozen broccoli (I used 14 ounce bag)
1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes (I used one of the pre-cut steam in microwave bags of potatos)
(1/2 cup milk)
3 ounces (3/4 cup) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Salt to taste

1/4 tsp dried basil


DIRECTIONS

Melt the butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add the onions and saute until tender. Stir in the garlic and broth, and bring to a simmer.

Add the broccoli and simmer until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and simmer for another 3 minutes. Puree in a food processor until smooth, return to the saucepan, and bring to a simmer.

Stir in the potato flakes and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the soup thickens slight. Remove from the heat to very low, add the cheese, and stir until melted. Do not allow the soup to boil.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...