Sunday, March 6, 2011

Cinnamon French Toast


Sometime around Christmas when I was post call, I stopped by Cracker Barrel and ordered the cinnamon french toast. I think it was some of the best french toast ever. It was smothered in cinnamon and drizzled with icing. Unfortunately, Cracker Barrel isn't serving it right now. Since I've been craving it, I decided to make some french toast yesterday. This was the first time I've every followed a formal recipe for french toast, and maybe the last time. I realized I need the egg yolks, it brings it all together, plus I think I put in too much nutmeg. I'll just stick with cinnamon next time. I used whole grain white bread, poor choice! If you're going to splurge with the french toast, splurge with white bread too! I feel bad for saying I'll never make this recipe again, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Some may enjoy, but not me.

Oh, and yes, I made my normal french toast this morning with white bread and now I'm almost satisfied.

Recipe from Southern Food

INGREDIENTS
* 1 egg
* 2 egg whites
* 1/4 cup milk
* 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* dash nutmeg
* bread

Preparation:
In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and egg white until foamy. Whisk in milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Heat butter in heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Dip 4 slices of bread in the egg mixture, turning to coat thoroughly. Let excess drip back into bowl.

Place coated bread slices in hot skillet. Cook, turning, until both sides are nicely browned, about 2 minutes each side.

Transfer to a warm plate and keep warm in oven. Repeat with remaining bread and egg mixture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...