Sunday, November 1, 2009

Acorn Squash and Apple Soup

I've been in a soup mood lately and since I've never cooked with acorn squash before, I decided to give this recipe a try. It's only ehh...honestly I think it taste more liked warmed apple sauce with a couple extra flavors thrown in. I doubt I'll make it again. I mixed some plain yogurt in with the soup and I think it definitely made it taste better. I might shred some chicken and add that to give me some more protein, plus I think it'll complement the apple flavoring.

Ingredients
2 medium acorn squash seeded & halved
1 quart Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock (Store was out of stock, so I used broth)
3 each green apples peeled and diced
2/3 cup chopped onion
1 1/3 cups apple cider
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root peeled & grated
1 1/3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
White pepper to taste / Yogurt or sour cream & chives (garnish)

Directions
Bake squash about 45 minutes at 350°. Allow to cool; cut in half, remove seeds and core. Combine stock, apples and onion in stockpot or dutch oven. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add squash pulp, apple cider, lemon juice and ginger. Cover and simmer until ingredients are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Season with pepper if desired. Puree soup in batches in blender or processor (I used my new immersion blender, loved it!). Ladle into bowls. Garnish with yogurt or sour cream and chives.

Kitchen Basics Recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...