Sunday, November 8, 2009

Butternut Squash Cake

This is the first time I made a cake with squash, but we do it with carrots and pumpkin all of the time, so why not squash? It was only ok. I know this will sound weird, but the cake reminds me of Famous Dave's corn muffins. I think it's a little too dense for a cake, but that's just me. This was also the first time I made brown sugar icing. Honestly, I think it tasted very similar to marshmallow. It complemented the cake, but was so so sticky! It also took lots of mixing. I swear I mixed the icing at least 20 minutes to get the egg whites to peak. Overall, I'm glad I tried this cake, but I'm not adding it to my list of go-to recipes.


Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash
* 1 teaspoon maple flavoring (I used vanilla extract)
* 3 cups cake flour
* 4 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (omitted)

* BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
* 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
* 3 egg whites
* 6 tablespoons water
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add squash and maple flavoring; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in walnuts. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
3. For frosting, combine the brown sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar and salt in a heavy saucepan. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until a thermometer reads 160 degrees F, about 8-10 minutes.
4. Pour frosting into a large mixing bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 (more like 20 for me) minutes. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...