Sunday, February 14, 2010

Random Morbid Thought

The book I'm currently listening to suggested future brides have a trial run if they are going to get their make-up done because we all have experiences where a deceased love one no longer looks like the person we remember because the mortician used so much make-up and a bride doesn't want that on her wedding day. (Yes, that's a super run-on!)

So, that got me to thinking...is there such a thing as mortician make-up trials? I mean if you're in your 80's or 90's or diagnosed with a terminal illness, you pretty much know the end is near (eventually). I don't know the turnover rate for morticians, but I think it's feasible to assume that it's low and if someone met with a mortician, but didn't die for another 10 years, it would be the same person. So, with this thought in mind, one could go meet with the mortician before her death and tell her what she wants to look like in the coffin. In general, I think families like their deceased family member to look practically like they did the day before they died, not how they looked 15 years earlier. If a person has passed, I really don't feel there is a need to make her look younger. If grandmom never worn bright red lipstick in real life, the family should not see her in the coffin wearing bright red lipstick. I could go on, but you get my drift.

I know this is morbid, but if I remember 60 years from now, I really might go meet with the mortician to give her/him an idea of my living personality and appearance. Call me weird.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

morbid yes, but very thought provoking. I never thought of that before and you're right. People at their funerals don't tend to look like they did.
I think most families provide a picture of the person when they were alive, and ask for their makeup to look similar.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...