Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Roast Chicken with Balsamic Bell Peppers


I've been getting Cooking Light for almost 6 months now and I finally got around to trying a recipe. I didn't like/have all of the ingredients (like fennel seeds), but the core of the recipe is the same. I monitored the chicken temperature more carefully than ever before, and OMG, I've been overcooking my chicken for years! What a difference properly cooked chicken makes! Overall, I liked the recipe, but it probably won't enter my cycle of regulars.

Recipe adapted from Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Cooking Light

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (omitted)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
4 (6 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Cooking spray
1 thinly sliced red pepper
1 thinly sliced green pepper
1 thinly sliced red onion
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (I didn't have fresh on hand)
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 450.
2. Heat a ea a large skillet over medium0high heat. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Brush chicken with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle spice rub over chicken. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes or until bronwed. Turn chicken over; cook 1 minute. Arrange chicken in an 11x7 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until done (more like 20 for me).

3. Heat remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, shallots (I used red onions here), and rosemary; saute 3 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 3 minutes (longer for me), stirring frequently. Serve bell pepper mixture over chicken.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks delicious! Both things I love!
I will be making this on the weekend.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...