Sunday, September 13, 2009

Chick Fil A BBQ Sauce?


Not quite. One of the many things I miss from Baltimore is Chick-Fil-A. Omaha has one, but it's only open to Mutual of Omaha employees :( One of the many things I love about Chick-Fil-A is the barbecue sauce. A google search led me to a recipe by Todd Wilbur, the guy famous for imitation recipes. I think this recipe resembles the honey roasted BBQ that comes with the chicken sandwich, rather than the red BBQ I love with my waffle fries. This the first time I've ever made BBQ sauce and I was taken aback by the need for raw egg yolk. I think I may have enjoyed the sauce more if I could get over the fact I was eating raw egg yolk. In fact, I couldn't finish my chicken breast and I ended up throwing out the rest of the sauce.
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon ketchup
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
2 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon concentrated hickory liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon corn starch

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Combine oil, honey, mustard, ketchup, sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling.
Stir. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Add vinegar, smoke flavoring, and lemon juice.

2. While the sauce cools, vigorously whisk egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes or until color is pale yellow. Whisk in cornstarch until dissolved.

3. Drizzle he cooled sauce mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream while rapidly whisking. This will create a thick, creamy emulsion that will prevent the oil from separating. Cover the sauce and chill it until it's needed.

Makes about 1 cup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...