Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed the Greek mythology weaved into this book. I never really put much effort into learning about the Greek gods, so it's nice learning about them a little through the series.

This book has a lot of action and a lot of potential to be a good movie. Let's hope Hollywood doesn't disappoint.

While I don't mind, some families may be concerned that this book depicts Greek gods, as well, gods. I can already hear the arguments that it's paganism, blasphemy, etc. I don't think kids rushed out to become ordained witches and warlocks after the Harry Potter series, so I think we're ok here.

Some say the series reminds them a lot of Harry Potter. Unfortunately, I think a lot of young adult fantasy is going to be compared to Harry Potter. To me, the series are only similar in the sense that there is a middle school boy who discovers he's special and needs to fight evil. Of course every middle school boy has to have friends to help complete the task.

View all my reviews >>

1 comments:

Cheerful Homemaker said...

I've read this series (not the last one yet). When a friend recommended it to me, she said that if I liked the potter series, I would enjoy this. Plus, my major involved studying Classical greek and roman mythology/languages/history/literature, so it was right up my alley. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...