Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Year of Living Biblically

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible As Literally As Possible by A.J. Jacobs


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Long story short, the author is agnostic Jew and tries to live the Bible literally for a year.

For at least the past year, I've been experiencing a faith crisis. I wouldn't go so far to say I'm agnostic, but I'm not as in tune with my Christianity as I once was. I'd like to say this book spoke to me on a spiritual level and brought me back to my faith life, but I won't go that far.

I really enjoyed listening to the book for several reasons. Jacobs respectfully explored reasoning behind some Biblical traditions, stepped out of his comfort zone to explore religious traditions, and consulted with his "faith counsel" for guidance, among other things. He never says to the reader, "you should be this religion, or that," or "you're a sinner because you're not doing this," etc.

Throughout his journey Jacobs comes to understand the peace of ritual and the joys prayer can bring. He doesn't hold back telling us when he doesn't really want to perform a task, but accepts it and then respectfully tells us whether it was worth it or not.

I realize I'm starting to babel, so I should stop. Overall, for a girl who's a little lost in her faith, it was nice listening to this man's Biblical journey.

View all my reviews >>

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...