Thursday, January 21, 2010

Week 3 - White Balance

Ahh, wondering where week 2 went? No fear, I completed the lesson and understood shutter, I was just too lazy to posts my pictures.

So that brings us to this week's lesson - white balance. This is a very sore topic for me because I feel that our wedding portraits had horrible white balance. That's neither here nor there, though.

If you're following along, or if you're new and you'd like to know what lessons I'm talking about, you can find them here.

A dear friend once said she hopes I find something other than flowers to use to take pictures. I love my flowers and don't find Joe's video games nearly as exciting, so flowers it is.

Once again, these are straight out of the camera (SOOC) for my learning benefit. Aperture priority is my favorite, so that's what I used. Yes, I know some of the are out of focus, but I had to use a low f-stop to get enough light in. Sometimes it still wasn't enough light I had a camera shake. I could pull out a tripod, but that's too much work for this lesson.

This is auto white balance - aka the camera chose what to use.

Daylight setting

Tungsten setting. Way too blue!

Fluorescent setting.

Manual balance--meaning I held up a white piece of paper to manually set my white balance.

In order for me to truly see the difference between auto and manual, I need to see them side by side.

Left is auto white balance and right is manual. Seeing them side to side, I can definitely tell a difference and think the right is more true to the actual colors. I received a white balance card for Christmas, so I'll to play around with that too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...